Sunday, January 1, 2012

Tomorrow, when most of you are viewing or attending parades and bowl games, I’ll be watching the clock, counting down to noon Pacific, to view “Selling Spelling Manor”. Somehow I missed the original airing of this very important production last month, but I’ve made my New Year’s resolutions and that’s not happening again!

Twenty plus years ago, Aaron Spelling purchased the charming, vintage Bing Crosby estate in the verdant Holmby Hills area of Los Angeles. After razing the old-Hollywood landmark, he presented his much-adored wife Candy with his greatest erection, the 56,000 square foot “Manor” which she sold in June, reportedly for $85,000,000 to 22-year-old Petra Ecclestone. (Yeah, I know.)

Mr. Spelling passed away a few years back and Mrs. S., an empty-nester, was looking to downsize. She decided on a, then, under construction Century City condo and scooped up the top two floors, two penthouses, totaling 15,000 square feet. Herein lies my interest in this HGTV mystery. How does one jam 56,000 square feet of stuff into 15,000 square feet? I can’t wait!

Every year, my top 5 NY’s resolutions include “GET ORGANIZED” which invariably translates to “PURGE”. It’s agony. I really love that silver bowl my classmates gave me for chairing “Junior Weekend” in college. OK, it doesn’t look so swell since I’ve been using it for the cat’s food, but it MEANS something to me (and it makes Foo Foo feel really special). You know the drill. So, I’m the person who buys those magazines in the check out line every December called “Organizing”, “Storage Solutions”, “Make the Most of Your Space”, etc. and now, my space is chock full of those magazines.

This year I have hope, thanks to Candy. What will she keep? What will she toss? She makes my problems seem very small indeed.

(Noon, Pacific Time, Monday, Jan.2, 2012, HGTV)

No comments:

Post a Comment